Baltimore's Little Italy is an old quaint Italian neighborhood in Baltimore City that has survived and thrived for several generations. Its original immigrants emigrated from Italy in the mid-1800s into the early 1900s and by 1920 the neighborhood was 100% Italian. It boasts century-old row homes, family-run restaurants, bocce courts, Catholic Italian parish, cultural Learning Center, Sons of Italy lodge, and much more. Lovingly nicknamed 'The Neighborhood,' Little Italy is a tight-knit Italian community that includes residents of other ethnic backgrounds as well. It continues to welcome back its people who grew up here and who still feel a connection and deep devotion to the community. Stroll through its friendly streets to say CIAO!
on President Street holds the Italian Carrara marbled Columbus statue and historical plaques dedicated in 1984 by President Ronald Reagan. The piazza is encircled with Italian flags. Each October during a wreath laying ceremony, a few dozen local civic (mostly Italian) organizations pay homage to Columbus by laying floral wreaths at the base of the state. A Columbus Day parade follows.
is an 1866 building on Central Avenue named after the canal that once ran down the middle of the street. Long ago, the structure was the Solomon’s Straus’ Malt House, named after the brewer who built it. The warehouse supplied malt to Baltimore’s brewing industry as well as exported it to the west and south.
The historic PRESIDENT STREET STATION dates to 1849 and is one of the oldest big city railroad stations in the nation. It played an essential role in the story of some Italian immigrants who arrived by ship in New York City and continued to Baltimore by train. It houses the CIVIL WAR MUSEUM (FREE) 601 Pres. St 443-220-0290.
was built in 1881 for the Italians and contains historical paintings and beautiful ceiling murals. On its exterior walls is a historical marker, War Memorial Plaques, and other memorial signage. Under the entry steps are engraved bricks honoring family names. Saint Leo the Great Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It hosts four major events per year: two Italian Festivals and 2 Ravioli Dinners.
at 844 E. Pratt St once housed Mary Young Pickersgill who earned her mark in history as the maker of the original Star-Spangled Banner. She was commissioned to sew the flag that flew at Fort McHenry during the Battle of Baltimore in 1814. Museum and gift shop 410.837.1793